Monday, February 21, 2011

Last year


This time last year I was in Gulu, starting my semester abroad on "Post - Conflict Transformation" first in northern Uganda and then Rwanda. My first month there was very very hard for me. The first week i was in a state of physical and emotional shock. Everything made me cry. I spoke to my parents on the phone for a few minutes about every other day and every time my mother picked up and said "hello" i would burst into tears. I was doubting myself and whether i had made the right decision and whether i would be strong enough to make it the next few months. All i wanted was to be home, in my comfortable bed, with people i knew, with foods i liked & in weather that did not cause me to sweat buckets and buckets all day and all night.

Fast forward 2 months and i had made East Africa a home. I had made deep connections with people whom i considered family to me, i had learned how to wander the streets and take public transportation without fear and worry, i had mastered the art of bargaining & i was happy. Although i was ready to leave at the end of the semester i knew that i would miss the experience deeply, and that the past few months would be something that i cherished forever. I have never learned more about myself than i did during that time. One of the biggest lessons learned was about inner strength i never knew i had.
I miss Africa. I truly truly do. I miss the adventure, the energy, the spirit & the people. Two nights ago I decided to make my very first imovie, and this clip above is the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...