Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tears at the airport.



My mom came to visit me during my last week in Rwanda. She came for 2 nights after i finally convinced her to visit. I told her over and over again that i knew that if she didn't visit me during my study abroad there, she would probably never travel to an African country and i really wanted her to experience my home for 4 months of my life. Before I went to the airport to pick her up, my friend Joanna told me that she knew i would cry when i saw my mom. I told her that i definitely wouldn't because i was more excited than anything so there was no reason why i would cry. I never thought i was someone who would cry when finally seeing a loved one after a long period of time. 
Later that day we went to the small Kigali airport to pick my mom up and i remember being outside and searching intently for her among the crowd. When i saw my mom i ran up to her and instantly burst into tears and started sobbing. The past few months had been amazing, but also the toughest and most challenging time of my entire life. Going to East Africa knowing absolutely no one, i ended up often having to rely on myself through the most uncomfortable and difficult situations. The second i hugged my mom i felt this immense sense of relief wash over me. Having her there felt so surreal. Up till then my family life was very separate from my life in Africa. With my mom visiting my two worlds were coming together for 3 days and it was sort of strange but also very special. For 3 days I was so happy and kind of proud to teach my mom about all i had learned, take her to my favourite spots, introduce her to my new friends, show her how to bargain, take public transportation, greet people, tell her which foods she had to eat..etc The whole time i spent with my mom was truly special, but out of all the memories we made i will never forget running up to her at the airport and hugging her after being apart for the longest period of time. Joanna was right, i lost control of my emotions and cried like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...